Stories from the Silk Road - Expedition 2023

Istanbul to Xian 2023

Expedition Announcement - Summary

So after having presented the countries I’ll be travelling through on our expedition, I present our expedition project Stories from the Silk Road.

Who I am

I'm Marcell Claassen, both passionate about travel and exploring new places.  To see more background , check out my bio at Silk Road Expedition 2023 - Crew Intro

When do I leave

With an anticipated starting date of September 2023 (delayed to early 2024 due to circumstances), I (Marcell) will commence my attempt to walk from Istanbul, Turkey, to Xi’an, China, a distance of 13,000 km (8,100 miles). The route will incorporate various sections of the different overland routes which were collectively part of what’s known as the ancient Silk Road that connected the west with China in the east.
To see more about the countries - Countries of the Silk Road Expedition   

The Route

In addition to some better known and/or UNESCO sites along the route, I will be focusing on getting off the beaten track and walking through lesser-known areas. This will allow me to spend more time with local communities and families; documenting their stories, histories, cultures and traditions and “seeing” if and how these were influenced by the Silk Road trade routes.

What will I do

I will be looking to get involved in community-based projects ranging from education to tourism and conservation. As I will be inviting followers from around the world to join me (limited number per visit of course) for some days, they will be able to participate in supporting these projects. In the coming 15-18 months, I will be reviewing a variety of projects we can potentially participate in and/or collaborate with.
Two projects I'm already looking at are  The TransCausaian Trail and The Pamir Trail where trails are being developed that involve the local communities along the route whilst taking the visitor off the beaten track.
I'll of course also be making notes of animals and creatures along the way, especially birds. ...so I won't be getting bored anytime soon!

How you can participate in/support the expedition

Thus, I hereby also extend an invitation to interested persons, organisations and businesses who might be interested in supporting the expedition and/or collaborating  in some way, to contact me. More details on this page Support my Expedition.

As the planning starts getting more detailed, I'll be posting regular updates on the route and places I intend to visit.


0 Comments

Support and Collaborate with my Silk Road Expedition 2023/2024

I'm inviting followers from around the world to join me on the walk (limited number per visit of course) for some days. Any interested persons, organisations and businesses who might be interested in supporting the expedition and/or collaborating in some way, are invited to contact me.